Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Blog Post #1: Individual Technology Assessment

As an educator, I possess certain strengths in technology, but still have a lot left to learn, so I strive to gain knowledge in the technological field continually. Perhaps my greatest individual technological strength is the ability to learn new programs quickly. I do not shy away from technology; in fact, I love learning new software and programs, and implementing them into my classroom as well as into my daily life. I am proficient in Microsoft Office programs as well as Internet Explorer. I've also become proficient in Adobe InDesign as I was the Yearbook Sponsor at my previous job in Henrietta, Texas. Another strength I possess is a great knowledge of social networking sites on the internet, such as facebook and myspace. I also maintain a family blog where I keep my family and friends, near and far, updated on the crazy, busy, fun life we live. I am also capable of using computers, ELMOs, projectors, Smartphones, laptops, netbooks, printers, copy machines, and overhead projectors. I use these items routinely in my classroom as an educator and in my day-to-day life as well. I have also worked with the Reading Counts program in our high school. This is a program similar to Accelerated Reader, and I am accustomed to using it regularly throughout the school year. I am enthusiastic about technology, and although I possess many technological strengths, I have a great interest in learning more.

I do have weaknesses in technology that I would like to improve upon. For instance, I have no background whatsoever in building web pages and computer programming. I have little to no knowledge of using Ipods in the classroom, although I've heard of many schools using them. I have no knowledge of webcasts, podcasts, and/or other forms of virtual technology. I am very interested in Skype. I hear many of my friends talking about how they Skype with family and friends near and far, and I am incredibly interested in learning about Skype, but I am currently not knowledgeable of it. Another weakness, which I feel will be a strength eventually, is taking online courses. This is my first semester at UNT and it is my very first semester of online courses. I feel a bit overwhelmed because although I'm very skillful when it comes to the Internet in general, I have a very limited background in Blackboard and online educational forums.

I plan to use my strengths in technolgy by continuing to integrate as much technology as possible into my classroom. I will strive to make the learning environment as fun and comfortable as possible for my students, and I feel that technology is essential in this day and age. Technology is what kids know these days; in fact, if the truth is told, they (the students) could probably teach us a thing or two. I feel that it is crucial to include modern technology in the classroom and curriculum, and I will strive to do so. I plan to share my enthusiasm of technology with my students and colleagues, and add as much technological variety to the classroom as possible in an attempt to accomodate a variety of learning styles.

I plan to address my weaknesses in technology by simply exploring and learning as much as possible. My interest in technology makes it easy to improve in my weaknesses, in that I am anxious to learn as much as possible, and I strive to get better continually. I plan to gain as much information and knowledge from this class, as well as all of my other classes to become even more technologically proficient. I plan to learn new programs, practice new programs, and not be intimidated to try new things. I look forward to learning more and becoming more technologically competent.

No comments:

Post a Comment